Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mesa Verde National Park

This site is called the 'Spruce Tree House'.


We hiked to a remote location in the park to see some pertoglyphs carved by ancient locals. I put my hand next the hands of the long gone artist (not touching) for scale. Interpretations of the images have been made by experts, but I mostly think the artist was expressing him/herself in this work. I love spirals and this artist did too!

We went on a tour of the Balcony House. This photo shows the 32' ladder we had to climb to get there.

Here is the tunnel we had to crawl through to get to another series of dwellings.


Stone footholds have been cut into the rock by the park service to allow us to get out of the dwelling. We had chains to help us too. The orignal residents had a 100+ foot climb using much smaller foot holds (no ladders, chains or ropes), everyone got into the house this way, the very young and very old included!

Ivo writes, "Here I am standing in an Anasazi cliff dwelling that they built using their handmade stone tools and bare hands. This tour to the Balcony House required us to climb a 32 foot wooden ladder (see photo above) to get up into their dwelling. Then from there, after a full tour of their space, we had to crawl through a narrow 15 foot tunnel leading to two more 10 foot ladders, and finally ended with us climbing up foot and handholds carved into the cliff's face. "

2 comments:

Mb said...

I absolutely love your photos and narration!! I'm living my summer vacation through you, which, by the way, is a good thing while I read the about the scary hike at Zion and the Mesa Verde house hike. Now that I finally mastered the art of the blog, I can make comments flawlessly. We're in Lovell this week and am missing you, but feel connected nonetheless. Have you gone through Four Corners yet? I hear it's spectacular (tee hee). Hugs to all!

Mb

Chuck said...

Iv
you are the certainly the most photogenic in the family.
My favorite is you with the "sour" face. The one of you in the reflective pool looks like it could make a great print too. Keep up the good work!