Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 6 Amarillo TX

Day 6:

Began the day driving to Oklahoma City. We stopped to visit the National Memorial; it was very moving. If you ever have an opportunity to visit it, we highly recommend it. It is filled with beauty and symbolism tied to the event and the people who died.

Next, we drove a stretch of historic Route 66. We stopped at Lucille’s, a ‘diner’ that looks like it has popped up out of the past. We had deep-fried pickles, onion rings, corn dogs, milk shakes, and icy cold Cokes. It was delicious and fun!

We arrived in Amarillo, Texas and stayed in a Best Western with a warm indoor swimming pool and a HOT, hot tub. We had the pool to ourselves for an hour and a half. Then a chauffeured limousine arrived to take us to dinner, I kid you not! Harold arrived in a Buick limousine, complete with a longhorn rack on the hood, and drove us to the most incredible local restaurant The Big Texan. At this restaurant, if you can eat a 72 oz. steak in 1 hour, you get it for free. You should see the size of that steak. Two people tried the challenge while we were there; both failed…costing them $72.

For being a big travel day, this one was rated highly!

Photos will follow..

6 comments:

Mb said...

Hey guys! I've posted a bunch of comments, but apparently I don't have clue what I'm doing so I started a new account.
MEL sent Q a message yesterday. I'll try to recap the essence of the post,"Hi Q. It's MEL. I am going to catch frogs today. Bye."
The St.Louis Arch ride to the top was the first time I felt abject panic and claustrophobia. I couldn't get out of that contraption fast enough! I did enjoy the Native American Museum, though.
I laughed at the steak story in Texas. It seems that everything in Texas is billed as being BIG. I cant' believe how far you have gotten in such a short period of time! Have you been camping yet?
All is well with us. Can't wait to see the next post and hopefully this one will work!!

Love ya-
Mb

craig said...

Reading your updates every day and sharing them with E,A and B. Deep fried pickles? You have got to be kidding. I can't wait to try them. B and I are back to school today for an in-service. I will write more during that long, boring lesson on teaching writing in the science curriculum. Enjoy your adventure. C

MM said...

Hi,

Loving the interesting places you are visiting. I think we ate at that steak house in Amarillo ... but no limo service.
FL

craig said...

We didn't do the ride in the Arch, it sounds like a pretty amazing piece of engineering. Seeing those flood waters must have been a real sight. We've been enjoying following your trip.

Becky

MM said...

hi,
testing
FL

MM said...

Such fun to travel with you so to speak. Love your blog. Reminds me of taking the Hungarian family up in the arch in '86. Your pictures are wonderful!

MM